It is possible to watch Netflix in ultrawide and 1080p quality using a PC. Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge are the only browsers supporting this resolution, and with a simple bookmarklet you can adapt the video to your 21:9 screen aspect ratio.
After I got an ultrawide monitor, I was surprised about the misinformation on the topic.
- On Chrome, Firefox, and Opera there are multiple apps that let you transform a video into ultrawide - for example, I use “UltraWide Video” on Chrome for YouTube.
The problem is that many don’t know that Netflix on these browsers is limited to 720p. IE supports up to 1080p, and Edge can even run content at 4K.
- An alternative is the Netflix Windows app: it lets you play videos at 1080p, but doesn’t support ultrawide resolutions. You can find customized and unofficial versions of this app that support 21:9.
However, I would not risk my PC safety by using an app that can be downloaded only from third parties file-sharing websites. Also, I prefer the browser-based version.
The bookmarklet solution
Digging on Reddit, I found an easy solution through the use of a bookmarklet. I used it for some months, and finally decided to explain it here as threads on the argument continue popping up, and apparently almost no one knows about the 720p limit of Chrome and Firefox.
This method was originally shared by the Reddit user u/cducky, and can be used on both IE and Edge. Austin, a reader on my old blog - where this article was originally located - confirmed that it works great also on Safari.
1. Add this bookmarklet to your favorites
2. Play any movie from Netflix
3. Click the bookmarklet
4. Click Shift to increase the size of the video and Ctrl to reduce it
Note that you will have to click the bookmarklet every time you play a movie.
EdgeManage to create bookmarklets
If you have problems creating a bookmarklet, I personally use the application EdgeManage on Edge to deal with those.
- Download and install it
- Open the application utilizing the icon on the desktop
- Right-click “_Favorites_Bar_” and add a new favorite. Name it as you prefer - I used 21:9 in the image - and copy-paste the bookmarklet in the URL section.
Now, you will have the bookmarklet in your favorite bar on Edge, so simply follow the previous explanation to watch a movie on Netflix in ultrawide and max quality. Enjoy it ;).
Tablet mode on the app
Thanks to LucasxDiniz for sharing this tip. If you prefer the Windows 10 app, you can also activate the tablet mode (Win key + A) while using the app, and click the expand icon. The tablet mode can be disabled without losing the aspect ratio. This method comes with a flaw as the subtitles are off the screen.
Header Image: Netflix logo
Vincenzo is an esports writer with five years of experience. Former head editor for Natus Vincere, he has produced content for DreamHack, FACEIT, DOTAFire, 2P, and more. Follow him on @SkulzDota.